The RN to BSN Program supports the mission of the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo in providing a learning environment that is responsive to the needs of a diverse student population and that stresses rigorous high quality education in a caring, personalized atmosphere. This educational experience encourages student-faculty interactions and offers hands-on learning and leadership opportunities. The Nursing Program emphasizes life long learning and teaches students to deliver culturally congruent nursing care in a rural environment.
The UH Hilo RN to BSN Program offers
- A distance education curriculum developed with flexibility in mind.
- A unique transcultural thread throughout its curriculum emphasizing respect for multi-ethnic populations.
- An emphasis on facilitating learning pathways and new connections for RN's.
- An emphasis on research, practice and education in the nursing professions.
- An emphasis on networking with health professionals in communities around the islands.
- Students have an opportunity to engage in health-related projects in the community (i.e. health teaching in the elementary schools, blood pressure and diabetic screening activities).
- The only Baccalaureate Nursing program on the outer islands, in a smaller community setting. UH Hilo students are offered rural clinical learning experiences.
- A learning lab with low and high fidelity manikins in a simulated hospital environment