Library Computer Use Policies
The Library is committed to serving all members of the University community fairly and equitably through the UH System’s Use and Management of Information Technology Resources .
- Use of UH computers is considered a privilege, not a right.
- Computer assistance is limited. See Computer Support Policy for more information.
- Computer users may be asked at any time to provide ID that will allow verification of UH affiliation.
- Computer use and wireless network use is limited to UH System students, faculty, and staff.
- Your UH account may not be shared with others.
- If you have questions about access, please ask at the Information Desk.
- Computer use is limited to activities that directly support the academic curriculum of UH.
- Noise in the library is a common cause of complaint. Please be considerate of others. If you can be heard consistently by other computer users, you are too loud.
- Computers in the library are administered by Academic Computing Services (ACS). Only programs provided by ACS can be run. Course-related CD-ROMs that don’t require program installation can be run. Students who are assigned coursework requiring software not available on network computers should ask their course instructor to make the necessary arrangements with their campus academic computing office.
- Copying of files and programs from the hard-drive or server is not allowed.
- Anyone found tampering with the Library computer equipment, including printers and supplies, will be held liable, may lose library computer use privileges, and face disciplinary actions.
- The library is not responsible for personal items. Lost and Found is at the Circulation Desk.
- Computers must be logged off 15 minutes before the Library closes.
Compliance and Infractions
The library staff is responsible for administering policies. It is expected that staff requests for compliance will be immediately and respectfully accommodated. Questions or complaints should be addressed to library administration. Depending on the seriousness of the infraction, refusal to comply with policies may result in:
- a request to change locations in the library
- a request to leave the building
- summoning of security
- refusal of future access to the library
- suspension of library privileges
- sanctions imposed through the University’s process