Faculty and students in the Department of Psychology have direct access to thousands of books and professional journals in psychology and allied disciplines through electronic databases provided by the UH Hilo Library. There are numerous full-text databases that are relevant to psychologists, such as Psychology and Behavioral Sciences, PsycNet, Science Direct, etc. In order to find out whether there is access to a particular journal or not, use the UH Hilo Library title search engine. Besides electronic journals, we are also subscribed to various e-book databases, such as PsyBOOKS, and the ProQuest full-text dissertations database. Additional electronic resources available through the UH Hilo library include reference indexes, such as PsycInfo, Ingenta and ERIC, which provide reference to articles and books in psychology published since the ninetieth century and limited access to the full text of some documents. Also, explore a guide to resources in psychology.
- One needs to have a valid UH Hilo ID number and password to access most of the electronic databases.
- The library subscriptions and contents of each database can change anytime. Thus, titles can be added to or removed from the list of available sources.
- Depending on the journal and database, access may be limited to articles published within the last 10-20 years
- Many publishers provide electronic copies of their printed articles with a 4-12 month lag. Therefore, some recent publications may not be available
- Some publishers provide electronic preprints of the upcoming issues. Thus, it may be possible to obtain copies of articles in press.
Below is a list of full-text and reference databases accessible through the UH Hilo Library that are particularly relevant to psychologists. For complete information, visit the library web site.
- Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection
- Vocational and Career Collection
- Education Research Complete
- Science Direct Freedom Collection
- Academic Search Premier
- Dissertaions and Theses Full Text
- Wiley Online Library
- Sociological Abstracts
- Academic Periodical Search
- Digital Dissertations
- Ingenta Connect
- Web of Science