On this page:
Requests for Books Available Within the UH System (ISL)
See a book in LibCat that is not available at Mookini Library? Place a hold on it by following the steps below and you can have the item sent to UH Hilo for you to borrow.
- Verify in LibCat that the desired item is not available within the Mookini Library collections by looking at the location section of the item’s record. Items available within our collection will start with “Edwin H Mookini Library” and can be located within the library.
- After verifying that the item is not available within the Mookini Library, select “Get This Item” in the item’s record.
- If you are not already logged on, you will be asked to do so by entering your UH username and password.
- The “Preferred Pickup Institution” should default to UH Hilo.
- Select “Send Request.”
- You will receive an email if the lending library decides to cancel the request or when the item is available for pick up. Please check your spam filter as some email notices have been showing up there. Recalled items may take up to 3 weeks to arrive.
- To pick up your items from the Mookini Library, go to the Circulation Desk and let them know you have some items on hold for you. Make sure to bring a valid UH System ID or a valid government-issued ID to borrow items.
- You can view the status of your requests by going to the “My Account” tab in LibCat.
Renewing Checked Out ISL Materials
Many materials are able to be renewed if no other borrower has requested them. Renewals depend upon the kind of material, the collection from which the item was borrowed, and the borrower's privileges.
- ISL materials are renewed online via LibCat. Look at the due date after requesting the renewal - if a new due date is not given, then the item has not been renewed and the original due date remains.
Requests for Books Unavailable from the UH System
Use the ILLiad Main Menu – New Request options to select the type of item you would like to request.
Log in to ILLiad with your UH Username and Password.
- Required fields are indicated with an asterisk “*”.
- Undergraduates must provide a Course Number (e.g. ENG 100) in the Course Number field.
- Please provide as much information as possible to ensure that the correct book is requested.
- There is no charge for book requests.
- Below is an example of the Book Request form that you will submit:
Renewing Checked Out ILL Materials
- Please note:
- Some items may not be available for renewal as determined by the lending library.
- Requests for renewals should made prior to the book’s due date. If your book is overdue, contact the ILL Department: firstname.lastname@example.org
To Request a Renewal:
- Log into your ILLiad Account.
- On the left-hand side of your screen under View, select Checked Out Items.
- A list will come up with all of your currently checked-out items. Select the Transaction Number of the request you would like to renew.
- Select Renew Request. The system will automatically give you a new due date pending the approval/denial from the lending library.
- If the lending library denies the renewal request, you will receive an email notification about the denial and your original due date will still apply.
- If the lending library approves the renewal request, you will receive an email notification about the approval and you will be given a new due date.
- Please note that some items may not be available for renewal.