Loans from Other Libraries
Loan polices and procedures for ISL (IntraSystem) loans and ILL (InterLibrary) loans
Interlibrary Loan at Edwin H. Mookini Library
What is Interlibrary Loan?
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is a service provided for current University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo and Hawaiʻi Community College students, faculty, and staff by which materials not owned by the Mookini Library are obtained from other libraries.
We can only request books from libraries in the United States and may not be able to obtain articles published outside the United States.
When do I Use Interlibrary Loan?
Before requesting an item through ILL:
Check Journals by Title to see if the journal issue is available electronically through one of our databases. For help locating resources within the library or via a database to which the library subscribes, check with the Information Desk either in person, by phone at (808) 932-7296, or by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
What is ILLiad?
ILLiad is Mookini Library's online system for requesting all full-text journal articles and for requesting books from outside the UH System.
Login to ILLiad with your UH Username and Password.
The first time you access ILLiad, you will be prompted to create a new ILLiad account.
For your security, close the internet browser after logging out of ILLiad if at a computer that is used by other individuals.
All correspondence will be to your UH email (@hawaii.edu) account. Check your UH email account periodically for status updates.
- are delivered to your ILLiad account
- are stored for 30 days after which time they will be purged from your account
- can be downloaded - recommended in the case of ILLiad down-times or to maintain access after 30 days.
- can be printed
- Loan period varies from one week to one month.
- Books picked up and returned to the Library's Circulation Desk.
- See Book Requests link at right for more information on requesting a renewal.
- There are no fees associated with the placing or receiving of requests.
- A non pick-up fee of $3.00 per item will be issued for items that are requested and not picked up.
- There is a $1.00 overdue fine per day per item for ILL books (borrowed from outside the UH System).
- Borrowers are responsible for fees charged by the lending library for overdue, lost, or damaged items.
Not available from outside the UH System
- Audiovisual materials
- Microfilm and microfiche
- Books from libraries outside the United States
- Some articles published outside the United States
- Can't remember your UH Password? Manage your UH Account at https://www.hawaii.edu/username/
- Not receiving ILL emails? Check your email account's spam folder.
Need Help? For more information or assistance, contact the Interlibrary Loan Department:
- Email - Books & Articles from other libraries
- Email - Audiovisual Loans from other UH System libraries
- (808) 932-7288
For help locating resources within the library or via a database to which the library subscribes, check with the Information Desk either in person, by phone at (808) 932-7296, or by email at: email@example.com