Second Baccalaureate Degrees

A student who has already received a baccalaureate degree may earn a second baccalaureate degree of a different type (e.g., B.S. versus B.A.) or the same type of degree provided that:

  • The major is different from the prior degree (regardless if the concentrations are different)
  • The student completes a minimum of 30 semester credit hours at UH Hilo after the first degree has been awarded. (Note: Students who received a baccalaureate degree from UH Hilo are exempt from this requirement.)
  • All degree requirements are met

Students entering the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) , the College of Natural and Health Sciences (CNHS) , the College of Business and Economics (COBE) , and Ka Haka ʻUla O Keʻelikōlani/College of Hawaiian Language (KHUOK) , who have completed a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university , will be exempted from the General Education requirements for a second Bachelor’s degree, unless specific prerequisites are needed for the new major.

Students with a degree will still need to complete the UH Hilo Integrative, major, and other graduation requirements.

Students who have completed other kinds of baccalaureate degree may need to take additional courses to complete the Basic and Area requirements, as well as the Integrative, major, and other graduation requirements.