B.S. in Agriculture: Tropical Agroecology Specialty Requirements
Group 1. General Education Foundation, Diversification, Structural, and Integrative Requirements in effect Fall 2018
Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Foundation, Diversification, Structural and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE foundations, diversification, structural and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted on the General Education website.
Group 2. Major Requirements (84-86 credits)
1. Agriscience Requirements (61)
- AG 200 Agro-Environmental Science Com (3)
- AG 230 Sustainable Agriculture (3)
- AG 291 Directed Work Experience Pgm (3)
- AG 375 Intro To Genetic Analysis (3)
- AG 496 Senior Seminar in Agriculture (1)
- AGBU 320 Agribus Management (3) or AGEC 330 Farm Management (3)
- AGEC 201 Agri Economics (3) or ECON 130 Intro To Microeconomics (3)
- ANSC 141 Intro To An Science (3)
- ENTO 304 General Entomology (3)
- HORT 262 Princ Of Hort (3)
- HORT 481 Weed Science (3)
- PPHY 310 Plant Growth/Develop (3)
- PPTH 404 Tropical Plant Pathology (3)
- SOIL 304 Tropical Soils (3)
- HORT 352 Orchard & Horticultural Crops (3) or AGRN 310 Agronom Crop Prod Tropics (3)
- AGEN 440 Irrigation and Fertigation (3)
- NRES 430 GIS Application in Nat Res Mgt (3)
- AG 304 Applied Microbiology (3)
- AGEC 360 Tropical Bioeconomy (3)
- AGEN 430 Ag Waste Mgmt & Recycling (3)
- Select 1 other 300- or 400-level AG, AGBU, AGEN, ANSC, AGRN, AQUA, ENTO, FOR, HORT, SOIL, NRES or PPTH course (3)
2. Supplemental Requirements (14-16)
- BIOL 171-171L Introductory Biology I (3), Introductory Biology I Lab (1)
- Chemistry (Choose one sequence of the following three sequences) (7-8):
- Sequence 1: CHEM 151-151L Elementary Survey of Chemistry (3), Elementary Survey of Chem Lab (1) and CHEM 141 Surv Organ Chem & Biochem (3)
- Sequence 2: CHEM 161-161L General Chemistry I (3), General Chemistry I Lab (1) and CHEM 162-162L General Chemistry II (3), General Chemistry II Lab (1)
- Sequence 3: CHEM 161-161L General Chemistry I (3), General Chemistry I Lab (1) and CHEM 141 Surv Organ Chem & Biochem (3)
- One MATH Course numbered 115, 125, 135 or higher (3-4)
Group 3. Tropical Agroecology Electives (9)
Select three courses for a total of 9 credits from the list below:
- AG 205 Value Ad Prod & Post Harv Hand (3)
- AG 263 Composting and Vermicomposting (3)
- AG 405 Agricultural Biotechnology (3)
- HORT 263 Hydroponics and Vegetables (3)
- HORT 353 Organic Crop Production (3)
- SOIL 351 Soil Health (3)
Total Semester Hours Required for the B.S. in Agriculture: Tropical Plant Science and Agroecology Specialty
123 credits required.
- Students wishing to make timely progress toward graduation are urged to pay careful attention to all degree requirements.
- In addition, when planning a schedule of courses, it is imperative to be aware of course prerequisites and the frequency with which courses are offered. This information is available in the course listings in this Catalog.
- To ensure progress toward degree completion, students are urged to meet with an advisor each semester before registering.