B.A. in Philosophy Requirements
Group 1. General Education Foundation, Diversification, Structural, and Integrative Requirements in effect Fall 2018
Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Foundation, Diversification, Structural and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE foundations, diversification, structural and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted on the General Education website.
Group 2. Major Requirements and Assigned Credits (30 credits)
- PHIL 209 Reasoning (3) or PHIL 345 Symbolic Logic (3) or BUS 290 Critical Thinking (3)
- PHIL 211 History of Ancient Philosophy (3)
- PHIL 213 History of Modern Philosophy (3) or PHIL 313 19th Century Philosophy (3)
- PHIL 307 Theory of Knowledge (3) or PHIL 310 Metaphysics (3) or PHIL 412 Philosophy of Nature (3)
- PHIL 315 Ethical Theory (3) or PHIL 327 Bioethics (3) or PHIL 329 Environmental Ethics (3) or PHIL 416 Science, Technology & Values (3)
- Two of the following courses (6):
- PHIL 300 History of Indian Philosophy (3)
- PHIL 301 Hist Of Chinese Philosophy (3)
- PHIL 302 Hist Of Buddhist Philosophy (3)
- PHIL 304 Ethics and Cultural Diversity (3)
- PHIL 340 Philosophy Of Religion (3)
- PHIL 343 Comparative Philosophy (3)
- PHIL 350 Hawaiian Phil: Aloha ʻĀina (3)
- PHIL 370 Indigenous&American Philosophy (3)
- PHIL 430 Philosophy of Zen (3)
- PHIL 435 Daoism (3)
- PHIL 450 Mahayana Buddhist Phil (3)
- And an additional three courses in PHIL at the 300- or 400-level.
Total Semester Hours Required for the B.A. in Philosophy
120 credits required.
- Students must earn at least a 2.0 GPA in courses required for the major.
- The B.A. in Philosophy requires a total of 45 credits at the 300- or 400-level.
- To earn a Bachelor of Arts degree in Philosophy, students must fulfill the requirements for the major and meet all of the University’s other baccalaureate degree requirements. (Please see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements in this Catalog.)
- Students wishing to make timely progress toward graduation are urged to pay careful attention to all degree requirements.
- In addition, when planning a schedule of courses, it is imperative to be aware of course prerequisites and the frequency with which courses are offered. This information is available in the course listings in this Catalog.
- To ensure progress toward degree completion, students are urged to meet with an advisor each semester before registering.