How to prevent brushfires from starting
- Keep matches and lighters away from children.
- If you want to burn trash, do so in a metal container, after you have cleared the surrounding area. Make sure you aren't near overhanging branches, and never leave a fire unattended.
- Never throw cigarette butts out your vehicle window.
- Install spark arresters on small engines and equipment.
- Weld only in a shop building or a cleared area.
- If your car has a catalytic converter, keep it off dry grass and away from brush.
- Report any suspicious or out of place persons or vehicles that you think might be maliciously starting fires.
Hawaiʻi County Civil Defense Active Alerts
Visit the Civil Defense website for up-to-date information.