Information and FAQs

About Us

The Hawaiʻi-Pacific Islands Cooperative Ecosystem Studies Unit (HPI-CESU), a coalition of governmental agencies, non-governmental organizations and universities, promotes research, education and technical assistance to support better stewardship of imperiled natural and cultural resources within the Pacific.

CESU National Network The Hawaiian Pacific Islands Cooperative Ecosystem Studies Unit (HPI-CESU), created in 2004, has 11 federal and 15 non federal partners, including universities and other organizations. HPI-CESU is one of 17 CESUs that make up a national network encompassing all 50 states and U.S. Territories. The HPI-CESU covers the Pacific from Guam and American Samoa to California and Hawaiʻi. It facilitates cooperative projects that provide research, training and technical expertise in managing natural and cultural resources between partners. While the CESU tracks agreements, the agreements themselves are administered through the individual non-federal partners.

Frequently Asked Questions

What project funding opportunities are currently available through the HPI-CESU?

  • Open Funding Opportunity Announcements and Requests for Statements of Interest are listed on our opportunities page. Opportunities are also sent to HPI-CESU listserv subscribers- if you wish to be added to this listserv please contact Director Sharon Ziegler-Chong or Program Coordinator Kristin Meehan

What kind of projects has the HPI-CESU helped fund?

  • We invite you to look at our archived funding opportunities to get a better idea of the variety and scope of projects that HPI-CESU is involved with.

How do cooperative agreements generally work across the CESU network?

What are the general criteria for all CESU projects?

  • The objectives of the project must be consistent with the scientific objectives found in the HPI CESU Cooperative Agreement (CA) and its Mission Statement. All projects must follow the criteria described in the "CESU Project Criteria" memorandum.

What agreement covers HPI-CESU projects specifically?

As a Principal Investigator of an HPI-CESU partner university, how do I receive funds through a federal cooperative agreement?

  • Decide whether a cooperative agreement under the HPI-CESU is the correct funding instrument (project must meet CESU Project Criteria).

  • Work with the federal agency’s technical representative to decide upon the project’s scope of work, project deliverables, timeline, and budget.

  • Submit to your organization's grants office a completed application for federal assistance (form SF424), an SF424A budget information form (non-construction), and an SF424B non-construction assurances form. These forms are available on the National CESU website under Nonfederal Partner Standard Forms.

  • Along with the federal forms you should submit a scope of work or a draft of the federal cooperative agreement to your grants office. In the case of the University of Hawaii, all forms and scopes of work must be submitted via the online grant submission system (myGRANT system). More information on myGRANT system.

  • The maximum indirect cost rate (overhead) that can be charged on a cooperative agreement falling under the Hawaii-Pacific Islands Cooperative Ecosystems Studies Unit (HPI-CESU) and all other units in the national CESU network is 17.5%. University of Hawaii has determined that the IDC base is Total Direct Costs.

  • Notify your grants office where and to whom the signed SF424 forms should be emailed within the sponsoring agency. Once a final copy of the cooperative agreement has been signed by both the partner university and the sponsoring agency, please send a copy of that agreement to HPI-CESU Director: Sharon Ziegler-Chong .

  • Project work can begin once your institution has set up an account for the project expenses.

As a Principal Investigator associated with an HPI-CESU partner university or HPI-CESU non-profit partner, where can I find HPI-CESU partnering opportunities?

  • Requests for Proposals (RFPs), funding opportunity announcements (FOAs), and requests for statements of interest (RSIs or SOIs) can be found on the HPI-CESU Opportunities page as well as other sites.
  • If you would like to be put on a listserv to receive opportunities, please contact Kristin Meehan .

How can a non-governmental organization join the HPI-CESU as a partner?

  • Contact the HPI-CESU director if your organization is interested in joining the HPI-CESU. Guidelines for the new member application and approval process are located on the National CESU website .

Who can I contact at HPI-CESU if I have further questions?