Distance Learning Faculty Resources
Need assistance with your Online Course(s)?
On this page:
Course Design, Development, and Management
- The Best Practices information and guidance are covered via the following topics:
- Learn how to Design Your Online Course at UH Hilo.
- Make your online course more accessible using these ADA Accessibility Guidelines.
- Check these Copyright Guidelines and Interactive Tools before using copyrighted materials.
- Have a Question? Check the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) .
If you donʻt already do so, we highly recommend that you use the Course Facilitation Plan document. Itʻs a tool that provides tips, reminders, and links to resources that will assist in the implementation of a successful online course throughout the semester, for both you and your students.
The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo's goal is to assure the high quality and integrity of all online courses and to meet accreditation standards for our online programs. This is being accomplished through the Quality Online Course Design Certification program, a careful and systematic review of an online course using the Quality Online Course Review Rubric (download this form fillable Word (.docx) file). To get started contact visit our Quality Online Course Certification program information.
View the Faculty Achievements in Distance Learning webpage which highlights and celebrates our UH Hilo DL faculty who have worked hard towards creating and delivering quality online courses.
Online Learning Readiness Check (OLRC)
Are your students ready for online learning? Help them succeed online by:
- Assigning them to complete the Online Learning Readiness Check.
- Requiring them to forward the resulting Certificate of Completion to you prior to the beginning of your course.
Open Educational Resources (OER)
According to OER Commons : "Open Educational Resources (OER) are teaching and learning materials that you may freely use and reuse at no cost." Examples of OERs available on the OER Commons site include full university courses, interactive mini-lessons and simulations, adaptations of existing open work, and electronic textbooks.
- Visit the Mookini Libraryʻs Open Educational Resources (OER) webpage to learn more about OER and help your students save on costs.
- Get Open Educational Resource assistance from our UH Hilo Librarians, Amy Saxton at firstname.lastname@example.org or Brian Bays at email@example.com.
- Looking for some great Professional Development opportunities to continue with, or get you started on, your online course development? Visit the Faculty DL Professional Development Opportunties webpage.
- The UH Hilo Distance Learning Team and the UH Online Innovation Center offer a wide-range of on-demand recorded webinars to meet your needs in the areas of course development, course management, and student engagement.
- Access additional information about UH Hilo-based Professional Development opportunities, such as the UH Hilo Professional Development Committee, the Academic Professional Development Program, and more.
- Provide your students with a link to the University Policy and Service Statements . This is document is maintained by stakeholders and covers up-to-date information on:
- Academic Advising
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Success
- Basic Needs
- Campus and Community Resources
- Computer Support
- Disability Services
- Mental Health/Suicide Prevention
- Student Conduct
- Students of Concern
- Title IX
- Access information on various Multimedia Resources such as Zoom, Screencast-O-Matic, VoiceThread, Mookini Library video streaming resources, Turnitin, and more.
- Library Support - online reserve and curriculum support information.
- Zoom Room, HITS (Hawaiʻi Interactive Television System), and CyberCANOE:
- Help Desks:
- Hilo Bookstore - sells/rents books and offers a wide range of supplies.
- The UH Online Innovation Center (UHOIC) is part of the Academic Technologies group in Information Technology Services (ITS) and provides instructional design and consultation and instructional design opportunities across the UH System.
Technology Tools, Support, and Training
Testing Resources and Tools
- Assignments Tool
- Testing Tools
Still need assistance?
If you have tried the links above, and still cannʻt find what you're looking for, email the UH Hilo Distance Learning Team at firstname.lastname@example.org