How to Read Course Descriptions
This is the 2019-2020 UH Hilo catalog, previous year catalogs can be viewed on the Back Issues page.
Courses are described using the following format:
①CRS ②NUM③Title④(cr.)⑤(contact hrs) ⑥Full course description. ⑦Pre: pre-requisites. ⑧(Same as X-List) ⑨(Attributes: ATTR)
- Course subject
- Course number
- Course title
- Number of semester hours (credits)
- Contact hours type(s) if non-lecture
- Full description of the course.
- (if applicable) Prerequisites, co-requisites, recommended preparation or other requirements
- (if applicable) Cross-listed courses (equivalent courses offered through another subject heading)
- (if applicable) General Education Attributes
Special notations used for credits are as follows:
- (1-3), for example = the number of semester hours, in this example, may be 1, 2, or 3, as determined by the instructor at the time of offering.
- (Arr.) = the number of semester hours is arranged by the instructor.
Certain number endings are reserved for particular types of courses:
- “94” courses are Special Topics Courses.
- “95” courses are Seminars.
- “96” courses are Internship Courses.
- “97” and “98” courses are Experimental Courses offered only for one year on that basis (“97” is usually offered in the Fall and “98” in the Spring).
- “99” courses are Research and Directed Studies Courses.
- Baccalaureate Degree Requirements
- College of Agriculture, Forestry, and Natural Resource Management (CAFNRM)
- College of Arts and Sciences (CAS)
- College of Business and Economics (CoBE)
- College of Natural and Health Sciences (CNHS)
- Daniel K. Inouye College of Pharmacy (DKICP) Undergraduate Program
- Ka Haka ʻUla O Keʻelikōlani College of Hawaiian Language Undergraduate Programs
- Center for Community Engagement (CCE)
- How to Read Course Descriptions
- Undergraduate Courses by Department
- English Language Institute, Honors, Interdisciplinary Studies, and University Courses