Ka Haka ʻUla O Keʻelikōlani College of Hawaiian Language Undergraduate Programs
This is the 2019-2020 UH Hilo catalog, previous year catalogs can be viewed on the Back Issues page.
- Makalapua Alencastre , Ed.D.
- Jason Iota Cabral , Ph.D.
- Kekoa Harman , M.A.
- Betty-Joann Noelani Iokepa-Guerrero , Ph.D.
- Kauanoe Kamanā , Ph.D.
- Keiki Kawaiʻaeʻa , Ph.D.
- Larry Kimura , Ph.D.
- Yumiko Ohara , Ph.D.
- Hiapo K. Perreira , Ph.D.
- Scott Saft , Ph.D.
- Kananinohea Mākaʻimoku , M.A.
Vision and Mission of the College
ʻO ka ʻōlelo ke kaʻā o ka mauli.
Language is the fiber that binds us to our cultural identity.
UH Hilo's College of Hawaiian Language, Ka Haka ʻUla O Keʻelikōlani, was established in 1998 as the world's first college through the medium of Hawaiian. The College is named in honor of Ruth Keʻelikōlani Keanolani Kanāhoahoa, the 19th century high chiefess known for her strong advocacy of Hawaiian language and culture.
The mission of the College is to assure the revitalization and continued advancement and growth of the Hawaiian language and mauli ola Hawaiʻi. A thriving Hawaiian language is the means through which the mauli ola Hawaiʻi will once again become commonplace in both traditional and contemporary contexts in Hawaiʻi. The College joins with other Indigenous peoples in the revitalization of their own languages and cultures. Our collective efforts will ensure the furthering of local, national and international initiatives toward establishing language and cultural vibrancy throughout the world.
The Mokuna Papahana Kālaiʻike (Academic Programs Division) of Ka Haka ʻUla O Keʻelikōlani College of Hawaiian Language emphasizes Hawaiian language, traditional Hawaiian culture, indigenous language and culture revitalization, linguistics and education in a Hawaiian language medium environment. It also includes Na Kula Mauli Ola, the P-12 laboratory school program. The following are the College degree and certificate programs.
- B.A. in Hawaiian Studies
- B.A. in Linguistics
- Hawaiian Studies
- B.A. in Hawaiian Studies Requirement
- Hawaiian Studies Minor
- Hawaiian Culture Certificate
- Hawaiian Language Certificate
- Hawaiian and Indigenous Language Medium Early Education Certificate
- Multidisciplinary Hawaiian Studies Certificate
- Hawaiian Language (HAW) Courses
- Hawaiian Studies (HWST) Courses
- Keʻelikōlani Education (KED) Courses
- Keʻelikōlani Hawaiian Language (KHAW) Courses
- Keʻelikōlani Hawaiian Studies (KHWS) Courses
- Keʻelikōlani Indigenous Language (KLAN) Courses
- Keʻelikōlani History (KHIS) Courses
- Keʻelikōlani Indigenous Studies (KIND) Courses
- Kula Mauli Ola (Hawaiian Medium Laboratory Schools)
- Hale Kuamoʻo Hawaiian Language Center