B.S. in Marine Science Requirements
This is the 2019-2020 UH Hilo catalog, previous year catalogs can be viewed on the Back Issues page.
Group 1. General Education Foundation, Diversification, Structural, and Integrative Requirements in effect Fall 2018
Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Foundation, Diversification, Structural and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE foundations, diversification, structural and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted on the General Education website.
Group 2. Major Requirements (90 credits)
- Required Courses from Marine Science (38)
- MARE 171-171L Marine Biology-Diversity (3), Marine Biology Laboratory (1)
- MARE 172 Marine Biology-Cellular Proc (3)
- MARE 201-201L Oceanography (3), Oceanography Lab (2)
- MARE 250 Statistical Apps in Marine Sci (3)
- MARE 265 Marine Ecology and Evolution (3)
- MARE 350-350L Coastal Methods and Analyses (3), Coastal Methods & Analyses Lab (2) or MARE 353-353L Pelagic Methods and Analyses (3), Pelagic Methods & Analyses Lab (2)
- MARE 425 Chemical Oceanography (3)
- MARE 440 Physical Oceanography (3)
- MARE 461 Geological Oceanography (3)
- And one sequence from the following:
- MARE 470 Senior Thesis Research (3) and MARE 471 Senior Thesis Report (3)
- MARE 480 Senior Internship (3) plus 3 credits of MARE electives at the 300- or 400-level
- MARE 495 Senior Seminar (3) plus 3 credits of MARE electives at the 300- or 400-level
- Required Courses from Related Fields (43)
- CHEM 161-161L General Chemistry I (3), General Chemistry I Lab (1)
- CHEM 162-162L General Chemistry II (3), General Chemistry II Lab (1)
- CHEM 241-241L Organic Chem I (3), Organic Chem I Lab (1)
- CHEM 242-242L Organic Chem II (3), Organic Chem II Lab (1)
- GEOL 111 Understanding the Earth (3)
- PHYS 170-170L Gen Phys I: Mechanics (4), Gen Phys I Lab (1)
- PHYS 272-272L Gen Phys II: Elec & Magnetism (4), Gen Phys II Lab (1)
- MATH 241 Calculus I (4)
- MATH 242 Calculus II (4)
- COM 251 Public Speaking (3)
- ENG 225 Writng for Sci & Technology (3) or ENG 287 Introduction to Rhetoric (3)
- Required Electives: Choose 9 credits from the following courses, 6 of which must be 300- or 400-level (9)
- MARE 240 Small Boat Operations/Research (3)
- MARE 264 Quest (3)
- MARE 282 Global Change (3)
- MARE 310 The Atoll Ecosystem (3)
- MARE 325 Coral Reef Ecology (3)
- MARE 350 Coastal Methods and Analyses (3) or MARE 353 Pelagic Methods and Analyses (3)
- MARE 360 Marine Resources (3)
- MARE 364 Advanced Quest (3)
- MARE 366 Trop Marine Research Investiga (3)
- MARE 371-371L Biology Of Marine Invertebrate (3), Bio Of Marine Invertebrate Lab (1)
- MARE 372-372L Biology Of Marine Plants (3), Biology of Marine Plants Lab (1)
- MARE 380-380L Nat. Hist. of Sharks and Rays (3), Nat. Hist. of Sharks Lab (1)
- MARE 390-390L Biology of Marine Mammals (3), Biol of Marine Mammals Lab (1)
- MARE 394 Special Topics in Subject Matter (To Be Arranged)
- MARE 405 Watersheds (3)
- MARE 410 Marine Debris in the Pacific (3)
- MARE 434 Teaching Marine Science (3)
- MARE 435 Marine Field Exper Tchers (3)
- MARE 440 Physical Oceanography (3)
- MARE 444 Biological Oceanography (3)
- MARE 445 Marine Microbial Ecology (3)
- MARE 446 Phytoplankton (3)
- MARE 446L Phytoplankton Ecology Lab (2)
- MARE 460 Marine Conservation (3)
- MARE 484 Biology Of Fishes (3)
- MARE 484L Biology Of Fishes Laboratory (1)
- MARE 488 Kuula: Integrated Science (3)
- MARE 490-490L Sea Turtle Conserv & Ecology (3), Sea Turtle Conserv & Ecol Lab (1)
- MARE 494 Special Topics in Subject Matter (To Be Arranged)
- AGEN 400 Aquaculture Engineering (4)
- AQUA 262 Intro Aquaculture (3)
- AQUA 425-425L Water Qual & Aquatic Product (3), Water Qual & Aquatic Prod Lab (1)
- AQUA 466 Fisheries Science (3)
- ECON 482 Natural Resource Env Eco (3)
- GEOG 340 Intro to Land Use Planning (3)
- GEOG 440 Community Planning (3)
- GEOG 470 Remote Sensing/Air Photo (3)
- GEOG 480 Geog Info Sys & Visualization (3)
- GEOL 344 Coastal Geology (3)
- POLS 335 Envir Politics & Policy (3)
Total Semester Hours Required for the B.S. in Marine Science
120 credits required.
- Students must earn a minimum grade of “C-” in all required courses and prerequisite courses.
- 9 credits are required at the 300- or 400-level for graduation with a B.S. degree in Marine Science.
- To earn a Bachelor of Science degree in Marine Science, students must fulfill the requirements for the major and meet all of the University’s other baccalaureate degree requirements. (Please see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements in this Catalog.)
- Students wishing to make timely progress toward graduation are urged to pay careful attention to all degree requirements.
- In addition, when planning a schedule of courses, it is imperative to be aware of course prerequisites and the frequency with which courses are offered. This information is available in the course listings in this Catalog.
- To ensure progress toward degree completion, students are urged to meet with an advisor each semester before registering.