B.S. in Astronomy Requirements
Group 1. General Education Foundation, Diversification, Structural, and Integrative Requirements in effect Fall 2018
Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Foundation, Diversification, Structural and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE foundations, diversification, structural and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted on the General Education website.
Group 2. Major Requirements
1. Required courses in Astronomy and Physics (54 credits)
- ASTR 180-180L Princ Of Astron I (3), Principles of Astronomy I Lab (1)
- ASTR 181-181L Princ Of Astron II (3), Principles of Astronomy II Lab (1)
- ASTR 250-250L Observational Astronomy (3), Observational Astronomy Lab (2)
- ASTR/PHYS 260-260L Computational Physics & Astron (3), Computational Phys & Astr Lab (1)
- ASTR 350-350L Stellar Astrophysics (3), Stellar Astrophysics Lab (2)
- ASTR 351-351L Galactic & Extragal Astrophys (3), Galactic & Extragal Astr Lab (2)
- ASTR 495A-495B Seminar (1), Seminar (1)
- PHYS 170-170L Gen Phys I: Mechanics (4), Gen Phys I Lab (1)
- PHYS 272-272L Gen Phys II: Elec & Magnetism (4), Gen Phys II Lab (1)
- PHYS 274 Gen Phys III: Intro Modern Phy (3)
- PHYS 331 Optics (3)
- PHYS 341 Thermodynamics (3)
- And 6 credits in additional PHYS or ASTR at the 300- or 400-level, not including ASTR 400 Observatory Internship (1–6)
2. Required courses in related fields (at least 27 credits)
- CS 172 Python for Data Analysis (3)
- CHEM 161-161L General Chemistry I (3), General Chemistry I Lab (1) or GEOL 111-111L Understanding the Earth (3), Understanding the Earth Lab (1)
- MATH 241-242 Calculus I (4), Calculus II (4)
- MATH 243-244 Calculus III (3), Calculus IV (3)
- MATH 300 Ordinary Diff Equations (3)
- HWST 211 Hawaiian Ethnobotany (3) or HWST 213 Hawaiian Ethnozoology (3) or KHWS 381 Ka Nohona Kaulana Mahina (4)
Total Semester Hours Required for the B.S. in Astronomy
120 credits required.
- Students must earn at least a 2.0 GPA in courses required for the major.
- To earn a Bachelor of Science degree in Astronomy, students must fulfill the requirements for the major and meet all of the University’s other baccalaureate degree requirements. (Please see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements in the Catalog.)
- A 2.0 or better in every required course above in ASTR, PHYS and MATH is required.
- A minimum of 30 credits is required at the 300- or 400-level.
- Students wishing to make timely progress toward graduation are urged to pay careful attention to all degree requirements.
- In addition, when planning a schedule of courses, it is imperative to be aware of course prerequisites and the frequency with which courses are offered. This information is available in the course listings in this Catalog.
- To ensure progress toward degree completion, students are urged to meet with an advisor each semester before registering.