B.A. in Psychology Requirements
Group 1. General Education Foundation, Diversification, Structural, and Integrative Requirements in effect Fall 2018
Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Foundation, Diversification, Structural and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE foundations, diversification, structural and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted on the General Education website.
Group 2. Major Requirements and Assigned Credits (41 credits)
- Core (11)
- PSY 100 Survey Of Psy (3)
- PSY 213 Statistical Techniques (4)
- PSY 214 Research Methodology (4)
- Block I. Choose two courses from the following list: (6)
- PSY 320 Developmental Psy (3)
- PSY 321 Psy Of Personality (3)
- PSY 322 Social Psychology (3)
- PSY 324 Abnormal Psychology (3)
- Block II. Choose two courses from the following list: (6)
- PSY 314 Learning & Motivation (3)
- PSY 315 Sensation And Perception (3)
- PSY 350 Cognitive Psychology (3)
- PSY 352 Introduction to Biopsychology (3)
- An additional minimum 18 credits of 300- or 400-level PSY courses, which must include at least 9 credits of 400-level courses, with no more than 3 credits of PSY 399 Directed Studies (To Be Arranged) and no more than 3 credits of PSY 499 Directed Studies (To Be Arranged).
Total Semester Hours Required for the B.A. in Psychology
120 credits required.
- Students must earn at least a 2.0 GPA in courses required for the major.
- Students must pass any course applied to the Psychology major with a grade of “C-” or better.
- At least 45 credits must be earned in courses at the 300- or 400-level.
- To earn a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology, students must fulfill the requirements for the major and meet all of the University’s other baccalaureate degree requirements. (Please see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements in this Catalog.)
- Students wishing to make timely progress toward graduation are urged to pay careful attention to all degree requirements.
- In addition, when planning a schedule of courses, it is imperative to be aware of course prerequisites and the frequency with which courses are offered. This information is available in the course listings in this Catalog.
- To ensure progress toward degree completion, students are urged to meet with an advisor each semester before registering.