B.A. in Geology Requirements
Group 1. General Education Foundation, Diversification, Structural, and Integrative Requirements in effect Fall 2018
Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Foundation, Diversification, Structural and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE foundations, diversification, structural and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted on the General Education website.
Group 2. Major Requirements and Assigned Credits (56-58 credits)
- GEOL 111-111L Understanding the Earth (3), Understanding the Earth Lab (1)
- GEOL 112-112L Hist of the Earth & Its Life (3), History of the Earth Lab (1)
- GEOL 212 Earth Materials I: Minerals (4)
- GEOL 320 Erth Mat II: Igneous/Meta Rock (4)
- GEOL 445 GIS for Geology (3) or GEOL 450 Geological Remote Sensing (3)
- GEOL 495A-495B Seminar (1), Seminar (1)
- ASTR 180 Princ Of Astron I (3) or MARE 201 Oceanography (3)
- CHEM 151-151L Elementary Survey of Chemistry (3), Elementary Survey of Chem Lab (1) 1
- MATH 125 Applied Calculus (3) 2
- PHYS 151-151L College Physics I (3), College Physics I Lab (1) 3
- Two courses from the following list: (6-8)
- GEOL 330 Deformation of the Earth (4)
- GEOL 340 Sedimentary Processes (4)
- GEOL 342 Earth Surface Processes (3)
- GEOL 370 Field Methods (3)
- Five additional 300- or 400-level GEOL courses, Up to two of the five courses may be substituted from
- GEOG 300 Climatology (3)
- GEOG 319 Nat Hazards/Disasters (3)
- GEOG 470 Remote Sensing/Air Photo (3)
- MARE 360 Marine Resources (3)
- MARE 425 Chemical Oceanography (3)
- MARE 461 Geological Oceanography (3)
- SOIL 304 Tropical Soils (3)
1 CHEM 161-161L General Chemistry I (3), General Chemistry I Lab (1) may substitute for CHEM 151-151L Elementary Survey of Chemistry (3), Elementary Survey of Chem Lab (1) .
2 MATH 241 Calculus I (4) may substitute for MATH 125 Applied Calculus (3) .
3 PHYS 170-170L Gen Phys I: Mechanics (4), Gen Phys I Lab (1) may substitute for PHYS 151-151L College Physics I (3), College Physics I Lab (1) .
Total Semester Hours Required for the B.A. in Geology
120 credits required.
- Students must earn at least a 2.0 GPA in courses required for the major.
- All courses in Group 2, Major Requirements, must be completed with a grade of “C” or better.
- At least 36 credits must be earned at the 300- or 400-level.
- To earn a Bachelor of Arts degree in Geology, students must fulfill the requirements for the major and meet all of the University’s other baccalaureate degree requirements. (Please see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements in this catalog.
- Students wishing to make timely progress toward graduation are urged to pay careful attention to all degree requirements.
- In addition, when planning a schedule of courses, it is imperative to be aware of course prerequisites and the frequency with which courses are offered. This information is available in the course listings in this Catalog.
- To ensure progress toward degree completion, students are urged to meet with an advisor each semester before registering.