Health Care Administration Certificate
Coordinator: Randy Hirokawa, Ph.D.
The subject certificate in Health Care Administration is designed for pre-nursing students who are interested in management and business-related careers in health care. The program provides students with the business and communication knowledge and skills needed to successfully work in entry-level supervisory positions in hospitals, long-term care, outpatient facilities, physician offices, mental health organizations, insurance companies, public health agencies, and other types of health organizations. Students who successfully complete the Health Care Administration certificate program will understand operation, management, and financing of health care organizations, and understand the role played by communication and information technology in managing and facilitating health care.
The Health Care Administration certificate requires students to successfully complete the pre-nursing curriculum at UH Hilo with a grade of “C” or better, and 15 additional credits. The complete requirements are listed below.
Curriculum (39-40 Credits)
1. Required courses (30-31 credits)
- MATH 100 Survey Of Math (3) or Higher
- MATH 121 Intro Stats & Prob (3)
- BIOL 243 Human Anatomy & Physiology I (3) and BIOL 243L Human Anatomy & Physio I Lab (1)
- BIOL 244 Human Anatomy & Physiology II (3) and BIOL 244L Human Anatomy & Physio II Lab (1)
- BIOL 275 Fund Microbiology (3) and BIOL 275L Microbiology Lab (1)
- CHEM 141 Surv Organ Chem & Biochem (3)
- NURS 203 General Pharmacology (3)
- NURS 348 Human Pathophysiology (3)
- NURS 375 Applied Human Nutrition (3)
2. Required Business Courses (9 credits) Choose three (3) courses from the below
- ACC 201 Intro to Financial Accounting (3)
- BUS 100 Intro To Business (3)
- BUS 240 Business Law (3)
- ECON 100 Intro To Economics (3) or ECON 130 Intro To Microeconomics (3)
- COM 240 Professional Communication (3) or COM 251 Public Speaking (3)