Creative Writing Certificate
This is the 2019-2020 UH Hilo catalog, previous year catalogs can be viewed on the Back Issues page.
Program Contact: Susan Wackerbarth, M.A., M.F.A.
The mission of the Creative Writing Certificate program is to give students a solid foundation in creative writing forms, techniques, and professional opportunities. Students will showcase their ability to write engagingly in their chosen genre(s) by producing a collection of polished, professional creative work.
Student Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete the certificate program will be able to:
- Select, revise and polish a collection of creative work in one or several genres: short stories, poetry, playwriting, or non-fiction (biography, memoir—essay collection or longer piece).
- Review other student-writers’ work and give detailed, meaningful feedback.
- Plan and carry out a short creative writing teaching practicum (on or off-campus).
- Prepare and deliver a public reading of creative work.
- Complete, design, and present a polished collection of creative work (chapbook).
- Research appropriate publications and submit creative work.
- Core (6 Credits)
- ENG 286A Intro to Fiction Writing (3) OR ENG 286B Intro to Poetry Writing (3)
- ENG 324 Modern English Grammar & Usage (3)
- Electives (9 Credits)
- ENG 318 Playwriting (3)
- ENG 431 Fiction Writing (3)
- ENG 432 Non-Fiction Writing (3)
- ENG 433 Poetry Writing (3)
- ENG 436 Flash Fiction Writing (3)
- Other upper division creative writing courses as they are offered
For courses repeatable for credit, all credits earned may count toward the 9-credit requirement.
- Capstone (3 Credits)
- ENG 434 Portfolio Seminar (3)
- Students must earn a grade of "C" or higher in all courses required for the certificate.