This is the 2019-2020 UH Hilo catalog, previous year catalogs can be viewed on the Back Issues page.
The Geography program also offers a Certificate in Planning. This is an optional program designed to complement the major in Geography. Non-geography majors may pursue the planning certificate with the approval of the department chair. Students accepted into the certificate program are required to obtain at least a “C” grade in each course.
Requirements (18 credits):
- Required Courses. (12)
- GEOG 340 Intro to Land Use Planning (3)
- GEOG 440 Community Planning (3)
- GEOG 441 Environmentl Impact Assessment (3)
- GEOG 496 Planning Internship (3)
- Additional Electives. (6)
- Two electives approved by the planning advisor at the 300- or 400-level.
The internship normally will be completed in the student’s senior year. Up to two courses in the certificate program also may be counted as Geography major electives. For further details on the planning certificate program, contact any member of the Geography faculty.