Indigenous Language and Culture Revitalization Graduate Certificate
Coordinator: Scott Saft , Ph.D
- Jason “Iota” Cabral , Ph.D.
- Betty-Joann “Noelani” Iokepa-Guerrero , Ed.D.
- Kauanoe Kamanā , Ph.D.
- Keiki Kawaiʻaeʻa , Ph.D.
- Yumiko Ohara , Ph.D.
- Hiapokeikikane “Hiapo” Perreira
- Scott Saft , Ph.D.
- William “Pila” Wilson , Ph.D.
For Information Contact:
Ka Haka ʻUla O Keʻelilkōlani
University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo
200 W. Kāwili Street
Hilo, Hawaiʻi 96720-4091
Tel: (808) 932-7730
The Graduate Certificate in Indigenous Language and Culture Revitalization was approved in 2004 by the Board of Regents on October 22, 2004 with the M.A. in Hawaiian and Indigenous Language and Culture Education and Ph.D. in Hawaiian and Indigenous Language and Culture Revitalization programs.
The Graduate Certificate in Indigenous Language and Culture Revitalization is a program of course work to prepare students for careers primarily as educators and administrators. In addition, the Certificate provides training for practitioners desiring further career development and those seeking preparatory work before entering an Indigenous language focused graduate program of the College.
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university;
- A GPA of at least 3.0 out of 4.0 over the last 60 credits in an approved field of study;
- Three letters of recommendation, at least one of which must focus on background in a particular language and culture of an indigenous or endangered community;
- Appropriate level fluency and academic knowledge demonstrated in a program recognized indigenous language and culture chosen as a language of focus plus additional credits in other areas when appropriate to balance the status of different endangered languages relative to community use, revitalization stage, and level of academic study available.
At least a 3.0 (B) in each required course
- KLIN 601 General Ling in Indig Context (3)
- KLIN 603 Socioling Analysis Indig Lang (3)
- KIND 641 Advanced Language in Culture I (3)
- KIND 642 Advanced Lang in Culture II (3)
- KLAN 641 Advanced Language Structures I (3)