Faculty & Visiting Artists | Summer Ai - Hilo
Art Faculty, Associates and Visiting Artists
Monika Mann, Faculty SAiH 2017
Monika Mann was born in the Rhineland, West Germany in 1961, and was educated at the Freie Universitaet Berlin. From 1980 to 1986 she was involved in photography and film making in Berlin, San Francisco and New York.
Relocating to Los Angeles in 1988, Monika worked as a calligrapher, tile designer and painting instructor at several ceramic design studios. Her group and solo exhibitions of porcelain sculpture include Burbank Creative Arts Center and Barnsdall Art Center, Hollywood.<
At present Monika is residing on the Big Island of Hawaiʻi for the last 21 years, teaching and practicing her unique blend of ceramics, mixed-media sculpture, photography and painting. Exploration and innovation are motivating factors in her work. She draws her artistic expression from her emotional side.
Monika has won numerous awards at various art exhibitions in the state. She has been instructing ceramics at Hawaiʻi Community College since 2003.
Fidalis Buehler, Faculty SAiH 2017
Associate Professor Department of Art, Brigham Young University
Wendy Yothers, Faculty SAiH 2017
Chairman of the Jewelry Design Department, Fashion Institute of Technology (NY)
Paul Catanese, Visiting Artist SAiH 2017
Associate Chair and Associate Professor, Art & Art History, Columbia College, Chicago ...for ten daysJuly 7 - 17
Marc Roberts, UHH Space Robotics Club and Physics Lab Coordinator
Michael Marshall, Director SAiH 2017
Michael Marshall was born in St. Louis, Missouri and attended the University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, IL, BFA 1975; Yale University, New Haven, CT, MFA 1977. Professor Marshall has taught full-time at the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo since 1984 and currently serves as Chair, the Art Department. His numerous Grant and Project Awards include:
- The Laila Twigg-Smith Art Fund of the Hawaiʻi Community Foundation, grant which supported the University of Hawaiʻi Hilo Art Department Visiting Art Program, and founding of the University of Hawaiʻi Summer Art Institute – Hilo, program in 2013;
- Hawaiʻi State Foundation for Culture and the Arts Purchase Awards (2000, 2005, 2012);
- Louis Comfort Tiffany Prize in painting and National Society of Arts and Letters (First and Second prize) 1981.
Selected publications include:
- 2013 Pacific Rim International Print Exhibition catalog, presented by the School of Fine Arts, Christchurch New Zealand, College of Arts, University of Canterbury at the Chambers 241 Gallery, Christchurch, New Zealand, November 19th through December 7th, 2013;
- Serie XX Artist in Residence – Michael Marshall [video] published by the Serie Project, August 21, 2013;
- Serie XX serigraph print edition, “States...of Mind” published by the Coronado Studio, Austin, TX, April 2-6, 2013;
- Black Renaissance Noire, Michael Marshall interview by Margaret Porter Troupe, Volume 12, issue 2-3, Summer/Fall 2011;
- Studios and Workspaces of Black American Artists, by Dennis L. Forbes (2008).
Recent exhibition and creative projects include:
- "Re-imagining Paper and Fiber International Invitational" (curator)
July 7 through 25, 2014 at the Wailoa Arts and Cultural Center, Hilo, HI;
- "Down on the Sidewalk in Waikiki, Art Invitational and CD Launch",
Gallery ‘Iolani, Windward Community College, June 20 through July 3, 2014, Oahu, HI;
- "Concrete Poetry", at the Midkiff Learning Center,
Kamehameha Schools Kapālama Campus, Oahu, HI April 2 through 17, 2014;
- "Intimate" a group show at the Atrium Gallery,
St. Louis, MO. March 21 through May 10.
- Set Design for "Joe Turner's Come & Gone" a play by August Wilson
directed by Kenny Davis at the UH Hilo Performing Arts Center, November 8, 9, 10 and 11, 2012.