April 2021 Stall Talk
**Student Health and Wellness Programs Stall Talk: Sexual Assault & Alcohol Awareness Month **
He keiki aloha nā mea kanu. Beloved children are the plants. 'Olelo No'eau #684
Alcohol Awareness The purpose of Alcohol Awareness Month is to point out the stigma and increase efforts to reach people who may not fully appreciate the dangers of unhealthy alcohol consumption.
Dependence on alcohol and drugs is our most serious national public health problem. It is prevalent among rich and poor, in all regions of the country, and all ethnic and social groups.
Alcohol Screening Day: April 5th
Community Assistance and OtherResources for Help
- Care Hawaii
- Lokahi Treatment Center
- Kū Aloha Ola Mau
- Ke Ala Pono
- The Exclusive Hawaii
- Self-Help Groups
- Al-Anon Family Groups: www.al-anon.org
- Alcoholics Anonymous: www.aa.org
- Adult Children of Alcoholics: www.adultchildren.org
Sexual Assault Awareness
Sexual Assault impacts people & communities of all cultures &does not discriminate against age, gender, sex, & ethnicity. Sexual Assault is defined as any sexual act directed againstanother persons' consent.
Consent is a continuous process of communicating & respecting boundaries. It is specific to each individual action & encounter and can be withdrawn at any time. It cannot be pressured or coerced. Each person should have an informed perspective of the specifics of what they are participating in. Consent is the presence of an enthusiastic yes, rather than the absence of a no; silence is not consent.
How can you help? CARE
C- Create a distraction A- Ask directly R- Refer to an authority E- Enlist others
If you have any questions or concerns, contactThe UH Hilo Confidential Advocate, Kekai Lindsey at (808) 932-7958.
Visit the Title IX Office or website for more information: https://hilo.hawaii.edu/titleIX/prevention-education/
**In an emergency, call 911 **
- UH Hilo Counseling Services (808) 932-7465 Student Services Center E-203 7:45 am to 4:30 pm
- Student Medical Services (808) 932-7369 Campus Center 212
- UH Hilo Confidential Advocate, Kekai Lindsey (808) 932-7958
- UH Hilo Security (808) 974-7911
Crisis Resources and Support
- Crisis Line of Hawaii (24-hour, 7 days a week) 1-(800) 753-6879
- Crisis Text Line Text "ALOHA" to 741741
- YWCA 24-Hour Sexual Assault Hotline: (808) 935-0677
Follow us on Instagram @UHH_SHWP