February 2023 Stall Talk
Pepeluali Stall Talk
UH Hilo Student Health and Wellness Programs
"Ka ulana ana i ka piko. In Weaving you begin at the center. (Source: Dewhurst et al.)
Find your center this semester
View three simple grounding exercises that can help you center yourself and connect with your environment this semester.
Imua Fitness Class Schedule
The Campus Recreation and Wellness Department provides numerous opportunities for you to meet your fitness goals this semester. Try a Yoga, Spin, Boxing, or Zumba class this semester.
Other practical tips for centering:
- Take a deep breath
- Look inward
- Find a comfortable place to study
- Establish a community of support (ex: Counseling Services, Kilohana Tutoring, Kipuka, Peers, Student Clubs, etc.)
- Take a walk around campus
- Stay hydrated
- Get outdoors and volunteer (ex: attend Lā Māla (garden day) at Kīpuka or volunteer at the Loko I'a (fishpond).)
Lauhala Weaving Workshop
Tuesday, February 7, 2023
(Space is limited)
Join SSSP Counselor, Val Odachi and our SHWP team to learn more about the art of Hawaiian lauhala. Students will be introduced to the hala plant (pandanus/screw pine) and learn how it was used historically and in modern times. Students will have the opportunity to ulana (weave/plait) prepared strips to make a simple checkerboard bracelet.
Community of Hei Workshop
Wednesday, February 22, 2023
Student Services Center W-201
Hei are traditional Hawaiian string figures that are powerful in their ability to sharpen focus, create intentions, and to capture or celebrate outcomes. The word "hei" means to capture in Hawaiian language. A culture nearly lost, be part of the revival as we learn hei for personal, professional and community well-being. Hosted by Student Health and Wellness Programs in collaboration with the Kinesiology & Exercise Sciences Dept. and the Waiolama Truth, Racial Healing and Transformation Center.
Crisis Resources & Support:
- UH Hilo Security, (808) 974-7911
- 24 hr Crisis Line of Hawaii, 1-800-753-6879
- Crisis Text Line, Text "Aloha" to 741741
- 988 Suicide Crisis Lifeline, Call or text 988
- YWCA Hawaii Island Sexual Assault Hotline, (808) 935-0677
- UH Hilo Counseling Services, (808) 932-7465, SC E-203
- Student Medical Services, (808) 932-7369, CC 212
- Kekai Lindsey , Title IX Confidential Advocate, (808) 932-7958
In an Emergency, Call 911
UH Hilo is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Stall Talks are available in an alternate format.
Pūhala clip art provided by @kaulumaika