July 2020 Stall Talk
Student Health and Wellness Programs
Hurricane season in Hawaiʻi runs from June 1st to November 30th. Early preparation for possible impact by a hurricane is key to keeping you both physically and mentally safe. Be prepared. Create a 14-Day Emergency Kit.
I kāhi ʻe ka mālia, hana i ka makau.
(While fair weather is still far away, make your fish hooks. Be Prepared.)
-- ʻŌlelo noʻeau 1176
Attend a hurricane preparedness workshop!
The University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, Department of Public Safety is now offering virtual hurricane preparedness workshops, open to UH system students. Visit their website to register.
Sign up for alters to stay updated:
Register for the County of Hawaiʻi’s Emergency Notification System at: https://countyofhawaii.bbcportal.com
Download a weather tracking app
Mobile applications offer up-to-date information and may also give you a clear explanation of what each level of alert means and what you should do.
Create a 14-Day Emergency Kit
- The State of Hawaii, Department of Health recommends having at minimum a 14-day supply of essential items.
- Download a full list of items on their website at: https://health.hawaii.gov/prepare/protect-yourfamily/prepare-an-emergency-kit/
Have a personal/family emergency plan.
- Create an emergency plan so that all family/household members know what to do in the event of an emergency. Discuss how you will communicate and where to meet in the event that you are separated.
- Visit the American Red Cross to learn the 3 Steps to Creating an Emergency Plan.
Stall Talk created for you by: Student Health and Wellness Programs Contact us at (808) 932-7465 Student Services Building Room E-203 email@example.com
University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo Emergency Response Comprehensive Guidebook with information on campus wide emergency response to events such as hurricane, tsunami and fire are available online!
In an emergency:
Call 911 or
(808) 974-7911 (x7911 campus phone)
Crisis Line of Hawaiʻi:
(Available 24-hours, 7 days a week)
Hawaiʻi Crisis Text Line:
Text "ALOHA" to 741741
YWCA 24-hour Sexual Assault Hotline:
Student Medical Services :
UH Hilo CARE Team:
Christopher Holland , Dean of Students
UH Hilo Title IX Office:
Stall Talk Flyer