December 2019 Stall Talk
Student Health and Wellness Programs
Stall Talk: Gifts of Self-Care
The holidays can be stressful, especially for college students.
There's the pressures of finals, finding the perfect gifts for loved ones, and making plans to celebrate, either at home or here with friends. In the end , it's a lot to take on and can cause depression or even anxiety.
That's where the practice of Self-Care comes into play.
By taking care of yourself, you will find more energy, time and joy in all of the things you do. Self -care is not an indulgence, but rather, it requires a deep understanding of who you are, what makes you feel happy, peaceful, and loved.
We all practice Self-Care differently, here are a few ideas:
- Get some sleep to rejuvenate your body & mind.
- Eat healthy foods as often as possible for increased energy and a healthier body & mind.
- Stay active by engaging in your favorite activity often.
- Practice being mindful to sooth your tired mind
- Try "HeartMath" to help regulate breathing and heart rate to reduce stress.
- Set yourself up for success with SMART goals.
- Surround yourself with people who care about you.
- Journal your thoughts, activities and challenges to get a better view of life.
- Spend time in nature or listening to your favorite music.
- Practice saying "No" to events and people that do not fit your schedule or vibe.
- Volunteer for holiday activities & local events.
- Share traditions or make new ones with friends wherever you are!
- Take a self-assessment to better understand your mental health: https://screening.mentalhealthscreening.org/hawaii
- Or an Alcohol Check in
Pū‘ali kalo i ka we ‘ole. (Taro, for lack of water, grows misshapen.) - ‘Ōlelo No‘eau
In an emergency:
Call 911 or
(808) 974-7911 (x7911 campus phone)
Crisis Line of Hawaiʻi:
(Available 24-hours, 7 days a week)
Hawaiʻi Crisis Text Line:
Text "ALOHA" to 741741
YWCA 24-hour Sexual Assault Hotline:
Student Medical Services :
Stall Talk Flyer