August 2019 Stall Talk
Student Health and Wellness Programs
Stall Talk: Back to School
E kūlia i ka nu‘u. (Strive to reach the highest.) - Motto of Queen Kapi’olani
Tips To Help You Get Set Up For Success:
- Get Organized: Create a journal or a calendar to note important events, like class schedule, extracurricular activities and even homework and project deadlines.
- Maintain Balance: Carve out time for fun & relaxation. Studies show that taking a break makes you more productive in the long run.
- Stay Healthy: Find time to be physically active and eat healthy foods to stay energized, focused and balanced throughout the day.
- Find Connections: Get involved with campus or community activities and projects to encourage supportive friendships.
- Be Responsible: Ask questions, be proactive and minimize distractions so you can stay ahead of your projects and reduce everyday stressors.
Stress is how the brain and body respond to any demand including exercise, studying or life changes, such as returning to school. Below are a few ways to help reduce stress and find relaxation at any time.
Remember that stress isn't necessarily a bad thing. It can motivate us to work toward a goal or keep us safe in a dangerous situation. Talk about the issue(s) with someone you trust and feel comfortable confiding in. Set aside time for yourself to engage in an activity that fuels your heart, soul and mind.
Deep Breathing: one of the simplest things to do to relax in the face of overwhelm. To practice: breathe in slowly, hold the breath before breathing out slowly. Ideally use the same count for all 3 steps. Repeat until calm. Imagery can also reduce stress in a few moments. To practice: Think of a place that's calming for you, such as the beach, home or playing with an animal and hold that in your mind, using all of your senses to explore.
- Orientation Information Table:
- Tues 8/20 & Wed 8/21
- Orientation Relaxation Station:
- Thurs. 8/22 & Fri 8/23 from 10-2 p.m.
- Week of Welcome Information Table:
- Tuesday-Friday (8/26-8/30) from 10-2 p.m.
In an emergency:
Call 911 or
(808) 974-7911 (x7911 campus phone)
Crisis Line of Hawaiʻi:
(Available 24-hours, 7 days a week)
Hawaiʻi Crisis Text Line:
Text "ALOHA" to 741741
YWCA 24-hour Sexual Assault Hotline:
Student Medical Services :
Stall Talk Flyer