1. nvs., Water, liquid or liquor of any kind other than sea water (see ex., koni), juice, sap, honey; liquids discharged from the body, as blood, semen; color, dye, pattern; to flow, like water, fluid.
- Komo wai ē ʻia, foreign liquid has entered [of a child conceived by other than the married husband].
- I wai noʻu, give me some water [let's have a contest or fight].
- Wai ihola ke koko, the blood flowed.
- Wai o ka lehua, lehua flower honey.
- Hoʻokahi wai ʻo ka like, the sameness of a single dye [unity].
- E wai kahi ka pono i mānalo, better sweeten with a single color [unity to find serenity].
- Ua hewa i ka wai, great quantities of water.
- Hoʻolana i ka wai ke ola, life floats on water [near death].
- Paʻihi ʻoe lā, lilo i ka wai, ʻaʻohe ʻike iho i ka hoa mua, well-adorned are you, carried to water [wealth], not knowing former friends.
- PPN wai.
2. (Cap.) n., Place names beginning with Wai-, river, stream.
- Nā Waiʻehā, the four waters, a poetic name for Wailuku, Waiehu, Waiheʻe and Waikapū, Maui.
3. n., Grain in stone.
4. vi., To retain, place, leave, remain, earn, deposit (see more common waiho, waihona, waiwai, and less common wailana; waina #2, wai ʻūlili).
- PCP wai.
5. interrogative pronoun, Who, whom, whose, what (animate antecedents).
- ʻO wai! Who?
- ʻO wai kou inoa? What is your name?
- ʻO wai ia? Who is he? (angrily) Who does he think he is?
- Kō wai, kā wai? Whose?
- No wai? For or in honor of whom?
- Na wai? By whom?
- Kō wai kaʻa kēlā? Whose car is that?
- Iā wai ʻoe i kamaʻilio ai? To whom did you speak?
- Na wai nō i ʻōlelo iāʻoe e hele malaila? Who told you to go there?
- Gram. 8.5.
- PPN hai.
6. n., Type of house with thatch purlins separated by a width of two fingers
- For. 5:645.
Papa helu loli ｜ Wehewehe Wikiwiki update log