1. nvt., To anoint, consecrate, oil, crown, ordain, appoint, inaugurate; to daub; ointment.
- Haʻiʻōlelo poni a ke kiaʻāina, governor's inaugural address.
- Ipu ʻalapaka poni (Luka 7.37), alabaster box of ointment.
- ʻOia ka lā poni mōʻī, i poni ʻia ai nā aliʻi, that was the coronation day on which the monarchs were crowned.
- PPN pani.
2. nvs., Purple, any purplish color (a color associated with the first glimmer of dawn).
- He poni uliuli ā he poni ʻulaʻula kō lākou lole (Ier. 10.9), dark-purple and reddish-purple were their clothes.
- Cf. poni liʻulā, poniponi.
3. n., A variety of taro, used as medicine.
4. Same as maiʻa ʻoa, a banana.
5. n., A variety of sweet potato.
- HP 142.
6. n., A variety of yam.
- HP 169.
Papa helu loli ｜ Wehewehe Wikiwiki update log