1. nvi., to burst, crack, break forth, crash, pop, bang; to ferment (of poi); bursting, cracking, as of explosives or of a whip; flashing of light, breaking of bubbles.
- Ua pohā ka ʻai, poi is bubbly [in fermentation].
- Ua pohā ka male, the phlegm has come up into the mouth.
- Mālama o pohā ka lae, watch out or [you] will crack [your] forehead [get into trouble; be shocked at the high prices].
- Probably PCP pofa(a).
2. n., The cape gooseberry (Physalis peruviana 🌐), a South American perennial herb in the tomato family, growing wild. Flowers are yellow; round, orange, many-seeded fruits develop singly within the heart-shaped, papery, enlarged calyxes; they are edible raw and are also cooked for jam.
- Neal 740–1.
3. Same as pohāpohā, a seaweed.
Papa helu loli ｜ Wehewehe Wikiwiki update log