1. nvs., Lava flow, volcano, eruption; volcanic (named for the volcano goddess, Pele).
- ʻĀ pele, lava rock of any kind.
- Hū ka pele, lava pour forth, to erupt.
2. vs., Soft, swollen, fat; pounded or kneaded soft, as poi or dough.
- hoʻopele Caus/sim.; To knead.
3. n., Choice Kauaʻi tapa (FS 252–3), scented with maile and kūpaoa, said to be gray and dyed with charcoal made of burned sugar cane mixed with coconut water (preceded by ke).
- Pele ʻiliahi (GP 8), pele tapa scented with sandalwood and associated with Kahana, Kauaʻi.
4. vs., A term qualifying koʻi (adze), similar to kūpele.
5. n., Bell.
- Also: bele.
- Hale pele, belfry.
- Pele ʻaina, dinner bell.
6. (Cap.) n., Volcano goddess.