1. nvt. To ward off, thrust aside, parry, fend off, bar, shield, defend, protect; to ignore a command or law, make void, nullify, prevent, repulse, resist, break, avoid, not adhere to; protection, defense, barrier, warding off, guard; curtain (Puk. 26.4); bib, partition, bar, railing, bulwark, shield, sheath, outer garment; division, canto of a song, scene of a play, division of song in a hula (preceded by both ka and ke).
- Ua pale ka pilikia, the trouble is thrust aside, finished, over.
- Pale i ke aʻo a ka makua, to thrust aside the teaching of the parent.
- Pale ka leo (Kel. 61), voice is silenced [in death].
- He lā ikaika ʻole a ke au i ke pale (For. 5:561), a day when the head current was not strong.
- PPN pale.
2. vt. To deliver, as a child.
- See pale hou.
4. n. Gunwale lashed to a canoe.
5. n. An interval of time in music, a bar in music which separates the staff into measures.
6. n. Presser foot on a sewing machine.
- Hua pale, grain of barley.
Ua hoʻololi ʻia e ko Wehewehe Wikiwiki. / This entry was modified by Wehewehe Wikiwiki.