- Pala ʻeʻehu ka lau o ka ʻulu, the breadfruit leaves are reddish-yellow.
3. vs., Underdone. Pupuhi ka umu, moʻa pala ka ʻai, the oven smokes, food is underdone.
4. vs., Coated, as the tongue.
- Cf. waha pala.
5. n., A form of gonorrhea.
6. n., Intoxicating drink made of watermelon juice.
7. n., A native fern (Marattia douglasii), with a short trunk and large, long-stemmed, much divided, dark-green fronds. In time of famine, the thick, starchy, hoof-shaped bases of the frond stems, which cover the short trunk, were eaten after being baked in an imu over night. The mucilaginous water resulting from slicing and soaking the raw stems in water was used medicinally. Pieces of the fronds mixed with maile leis enhanced their fragrance. The fern was used also in heiau ceremonies.
- Neal 6, 7.
- PNP pala.
8. n., A variety of sweet potato.
9. n., A variety of taro.
10. n., Seaweeds or scum.
11. n., Parlor. English.
Papa helu loli ｜ Wehewehe Wikiwiki update log