1. nvs., A common and broadly used loaʻa-type word (Gram. 4.4); many meanings depend on qualifying words. Firm, solid, tight, solidified, adhering, durable, fast, fixed, stuck, secure, closed, jelled, congealed, frozen, hard, sound (as wood), busy, occupied, engaged, definite, steadfast, permanent; finished, completed, whole, complete, learned, memorized, mastered, retained, kept permanently; stubborn, determined, constipated, solid or fast, as colors; sturdy, as cloth, furniture; strong and vigorous; versed in, learned in; one who holds, a bearer; to hold, bear, keep, detain, withhold; a solid, as in geometry; to wear well, as clothes; to look well or not show age, of a person.
- Mea paʻa ipu hao, a pot holder.
- ʻAila paʻa, thick grease.
- Paʻa ā paʻa, held fast.
- Paʻa i ka ʻole, to deny persistently.
- Paʻa mele, one versed in songs.
- Paʻa maila ʻo uka i nā kānaka (FS 71), the shore was packed solid with people.
- Paʻa ka wai ā lilo i hau, water solidified into ice.
- Paʻa ʻoia ma ka pono, he is steadfast in righteousness.
- Paʻa ka manaʻo, determined in thought; to have made up one's mind.
- Ua paʻa kaʻu haʻawina, my lesson is learned.
- Mea paʻa molaki, mortgagee.
- Paʻa ka hale hou, the new house is finished.
- Hana paʻa, steady work.
- Uku paʻa, fixed salary.
- Noho paʻa, permanent residence.
- Paʻa i ka ʻūkele, stuck in the mud.
- Kanu paʻa, to bury whole, as a body.
- Paʻa ke kelepona, the telephone line is busy.
- Paʻa i ka hana, very busy working.
- Paʻa ka puka, the door is closed.
- Mai paʻa ʻoe iaʻu, don't detain me.
- E paʻa ā paʻa ʻolua i ke kaula, hold fast to the rope.
- Hoʻonoho ihola lākou iāia ma kahi paʻa (Nah. 15.34), they put him in custody.
- Ua paʻa iāia ka waha o ka poʻe Sadukaio (Mat. 22.34), he had silenced the mouths of the Sadducees.
- Paʻa mai me ona lole ʻauʻau, bring some bathing suits too.
- Mai paʻa i ka leo, he ʻole ka hea mai (hula password), do not withhold the voice, or refuse to call to us [said by one wishing permission to enter a hula].
- I paʻa ke kino i ka lāʻau, that the body be strengthened by medicine.
- Nā lole i paʻa mua, ready-made clothes.
- E loaʻa ai ke anapaʻa o nā paʻa, obtaining the cubic content of a solid.
- See paʻa kāhili.
3. n., Suit of clothes.
6. n., Type of sweet potato, pronunciation not certain.
- For. 5:664–5.
Papa helu loli ｜ Wehewehe Wikiwiki update log