1. n., Large triton conch or helmet shell (Charonia tritonis 🌐) as used for trumpets; any wind instrument, as horn, trumpet, cornet. The instrument may be distinguished from other pū by the qualifier hoʻokani, sounding.
- Nā pū kiwi hipa ʻehiku (Iosua 6.4), seven trumpets of rams' horns.
- PPN puu.
- I lalo pū, order arms [military command].
- Cf. pū aloha.
4. n., Tree, cluster of several stalks, as of bananas, pandanus, or kava; clump, as of sugar cane (always precedes a noun).
- PCP puu.
5. n., Head of octopus or squid.
6. n., Canoe endpiece, both fore and aft.
7. nvt., Coil of hair, topknot of hair; rope or line, as attached to sticks in an ʻōpelu net; rope attached to the front of an unfinished canoe to haul it to the shore; olonā string used in the game pū kaula; snotter holding the end of the sprit of a sail; to coil; to gather in, as sails; to form a topknot.
- Pū i ka waʻa, ceremony during which a head craftsman prayed that the gods would protect the newly carved canoe hull as it was drawn from the forest to the sea; to attach a line to a canoe; such a line.
- Kaulapa pū (For. 6:483), drag or towline.
- Pū i ka lauoho, to form the hair in a topknot.
8. vi., To divide by lot: pebbles or seeds were placed under a tapa, and divided unseen into heaps, and the players drew to get the largest heaps.
9. vi., To eat a little, share potluck, said in a humble invitation, as Mai kākou e pū ʻai, come and have a little food with us [take potluck].
- Mai kākou e pū paʻakai, come and share a little salt with us [said disparagingly of the meat].
10. n., A variety of sweet potato.
- ʻOia noho pū wale ihola nō ʻo ke aliʻi, the chief just sits quietly.
- ʻŌkuʻu pū, to crouch dejected.
- Kai pū, sea without animation; sea at midtide.
- Gram. 7.1.
- ʻUla pū, entirely red.
- Me ʻoe pū, same to you [as in reply to a good wish].
- Like pū, exactly alike.
- Noho pū, to live together, as without benefit of clergy.
- ʻO au pū, me too.
- ʻO kāua pū, so will I; you and I both.
- Moku pū, broken completely.
- Pau pū kāua i ka hoʻopaʻi ʻia, we'll be punished together.
- Gram. 7.1.
- PPN puu.
13. Probably a rare variant of puoho, startled.
- GP 66.
Ua hoʻololi ʻia e ko Wehewehe Wikiwiki. / This entry was modified by Wehewehe Wikiwiki.