- Ka mea e loaʻa ana, whatever is gotten, found; anything.
- ʻO wai ka mea e ʻaʻa e haʻi ʻōlelo? Who will volunteer to make a speech? Hāʻawi mai i ka mea keʻokeʻo, give me the white one.
- Nā mea āu i noi mai, whatever you asked.
- He aha ia mea? What difference does it make? Ka mea hea? Which one? Which? Which person? Nā mea ʻelua, two things, both.
- Nā mea like ʻole, varied things, miscellaneous.
- He wahine mea kāne, a woman with a husband.
- He keiki mea kupuna, a child with grandparents [as said of a child whose grandparents have made a great pet of him, said in admiration and praise of the grandchild, fortunate in having grandparents who love him].
3. n., Person or thing that does, is, did, or was.
4. vt., To say.
- Mea mai lāua, they said.
- Mai mea wale aku ʻoe, don't mention [it].
5. (Sometimes cap.) nvs., What-d'you-call-it, so-and-so (said when one is at a loss for a word or name); such and such.
- ʻO mea mā (For. 4:47), so-and-so and the others.
- I ka lā e mea, on such and such a day.
- See ex., pauaho.
- No ka mea, because.
- No ia mea, therefore, for that reason.
- Nui kō makou holo i ka ua mea o ka makaʻu, we ran fast because of fear.
- Na wai ʻole nō ka nele i ka ua mea o ka piliwaiwai? Who could help being poor because of the gambling? Akamai kēlā Kepanī i nā hula Hawaiʻi, ā mea nō paha, hānai ʻia e nā Hawaiʻi, that Japanese is clever in Hawaiian hula, probably because he was raised by Hawaiians.
- Ā mea lā hoʻi ā hele mai e ʻike, but because [one would think he would] come to see [said in disappointment or with hurt feelings].
- Mea (or other word) following ua is sometimes deleted; the meaning then is something like ‘aforesaid’ (see ua #2).
- Holo aʻe nei naʻe ʻo ua o Wānuʻa (Nak. 42), now Wānuʻa's canoe has just sailed on.
- ʻO ka ua mua ia a Māui (KL. line 2000), this was the first [exploit] of Māui.
7. vs., Reddish-brown, as water with red earth in it; yellowish-white, of feathers.
- Wai-mea (name), reddish water.
- PPN mea.
- Sol. 14.1O.
Ua hoʻololi ʻia e ko Wehewehe Wikiwiki. / This entry was modified by Wehewehe Wikiwiki.