1. vs., Always, steady, constant, ever, unceasing, permanent, stationary, continual, perpetual; to continue, persevere, preserve, endure, last; preservation, continuation.
- Mau loa, eternal, everlasting, forever, endless.
- Mai kēia manawa ā mau loa aku, from now to eternity; from now on and forever.
- Hana mau ʻia, frequently done or used; common, as a word or custom; usual.
- Ua mau ke ea o ka ʻāina i ka pono, life of the land is preserved in righteousness [motto of Hawaiʻi].
- Mau maila kā Ke-aka kāhea me ka peʻahi (For. 5:303), Ke-aka continued to call and wave.
- ʻOia mau nō, continuing all right; same as usual; just the same [often said in answer to Pehea ʻoe? How are you? literally,, this continuation indeed].
- PPN maʻu.
2. vs., Stopped, as menstruation (FS 115); snagged, caught, as a fish or hook; retarded; grounded, as a canoe; set, as a wager; stuck or stalled, as a car.
- Mau i ka palaoa (FS 153), to wager a whaletooth pendant.
- Mau ihola nā ihu, a lingering kiss [literally,, noses caught].
- PPN maʻu.
3. vs., Conceived, as at the very moment of conception.
4. n., Person who carried the wand and chanted in the ʻume game.
- Malo 215.
5. Particle, marking plural, used principally after the k-class possessives and demonstratives, numerals, and he.
- Kaʻu mau puke, my books.
- See Gram. 10.4.
- PCP mau.
Papa helu loli ｜ Wehewehe Wikiwiki update log