1. Directional particle, towards the speaker, this way.
- Come, come here, welcome; say, give (used idiomatically without preverb particles).
- Hele mai, come (cf. hele aku, go).
- He mai (Kel. 19)! Come! Welcome! Hāʻawi mai, give me.
- Mai hoʻi kauwahi wai, do give me a little water.
- Mai e ʻai, come and eat.
- PPN mai .
2. preposition, From.
- Mai ʻō ā ō, from there to there; from one point to another, everywhere.
- Mai iā Maui, from Maui.
- Mai hea mai ʻoe? Where did you come from?
3. Imminence-marking particle, Almost, nearly, as though.
- (Gram. 5.4.) Mai hoʻokuʻiʻia au e ke kaʻa, I was almost hit by a car.
- Mai ʻike ʻole ʻia nō, [he] was hardly seen at all (said sarcastically of a show-off).
- PPN mei .
4. Preverb particle of negative command. Don't.
- Mai ʻai ʻoe, don't eat.
- Gram. 5.4.
Papa helu loli ｜ Wehewehe Wikiwiki update log