preposition, Indefinite locative, instrumental, manner. At, in, on, beside, along, through; by means of, because of, in behalf of, according to. This very common particle is perhaps more specific than the similar i, at, in; it is written in the dictionary as a part of the following words: ʻaneʻi, hea, hope, kai, laila, lalo, luna, muli, uka. With meaning “because” it is frequently followed by o, of. (Ma is frequently pronounced mā before primary stress: Gram. 9.4.)
- E noho ana ma Ulukou i Waikīkī (FS 267), living at Ulukou place in Waikīkī.
- Maʻaneʻi, here.
- Makai, at the sea, seaward.
- Mauka, inland, at the mountains.
- ʻAʻole au i hele mai ma ke ʻano ikaika, i hele mai au ma ka mākaʻikaʻi (For. 5:507), I didn't come in an aggressive way, I came to sightsee.
- Ma o wai ʻoukou i pili ai? Through whom are you related? Kona make ʻana ma o Kawelo ala, his death at the hands of Kawelo there.
- Ua hele mai au ma ona ala, I came for his sake.
- PCP ma .
Ua hoʻololi ʻia e ko Wehewehe Wikiwiki. / This entry was modified by Wehewehe Wikiwiki.