mānalo/ mā.nalo /
1. vs., Sweet, potable, of water that may be drunk but is not deliciously cool (huʻihuʻi); firm and tasty, as taro or sweet potato.
- Waimānalo (place name), potable water.
- Mānalo iki kēia wai, this water is drinkable, but perhaps a little brackish.
- PNP maangalo.
2. nvs., Appeased, softened, mollified, as anger, curses, bad omens; safe from harm or danger; sweetness, appeasement.
- ʻA ʻohe mea e mānalo ai ka huhū, nothing will assuage the anger.
- Mānalo ka moe (Kep. 121), the dream is made harmless.
- Mānalo ka heiau, to sweeten a temple; to appease the gods, as by offering sacrifice.
- Aukahi ka puaʻa, mānalo ka waʻa, perfect the [sacrificial] pig, safe the canoe.
3. (Cap.) n., Name reported for both Venus and Jupiter.
Papa helu loli ｜ Wehewehe Wikiwiki update log