lauaʻe/ lau.aʻe, lauwaʻe /
1. n., A fragrant fern (Phymatosorus scolopendria 🌐 syn. Microsorium scolopendria); when crushed, its fragrance suggests that of maile; famous for its fragrance an Kauaʻi (see lauaʻe #2).
- Pieces were strung in pandanus leis between the keys.
- See chant, punia.
- Neal 27.
2. nvs., Beloved, sweet, of a lover.
- Ka ipo lauaʻe o Makana, the sweet beloved of Makana [reference to the famous lauaʻe ferns of Makana, Kauaʻi].
3. Same as lauaʻe haole. Also lauwaʻe.
4. vt., To gather together, collect. Also lauwaʻe.
5. (Cap.) n., Wind, Honopū, Kauaʻi.
- Nak. 58.
Papa helu loli ｜ Wehewehe Wikiwiki update log