1. nvi. Leaf, frond, leaflet, greens; to leaf out. Lau is sometimes contracted to lā-, as lāʻī, lāʻie, lāʻō.
- PPN lau.
2. n. Dragnet, seine, so called because formerly made of ti leaves (lau) tied to a rope.
3. n. Sheet; surface; blade, as of grass.
- Cf. lā- #2; lauahi, lauhoe, laulā, laumania, moena lau.
4. numeral, To be much, many; very many, numerous; four hundred.
- Ahe lau makani, gentle winds, caressing.
- Lau ā lau nā hōkū o ka lani, hundreds and hundreds of stars in the heaven.
- Lau lena ka pua o ka māmane, the māmane is yellow with blossoms.
5. n. Pattern, as for quilts; design; print of a cloth.
6. n. Thatched mountain hut, as used by farmers, canoe-makers, birdcatchers.
7. n. Tip, as of the tongue; top (probably related to wēlau and ʻēlau, tip). Lau make, death-dealing tip, as of a weapon.
- Moe … i ka lau o ka lihilihi (Kep. 115), to doze; literally, sleep by the tip of the eyelash.
8. n. Sweet-potato slip or vine.
Papa helu loli ｜ Wehewehe Wikiwiki update log