1. vs. Sacred, holy, devoted, consecrated, set apart or reserved as for sacred purposes, dedicated. Cf. laʻahia. Mea laʻa, consecrated or holy one or thing. Lāhui laʻa, consecrated nation. hoʻo.laʻa To consecrate, dedicate, sanctify, bless, hallow. Ka hoʻolaʻa ʻana, the consecration, dedication. (PCP laka.)
2. vs. Cursed, defiled (Kanl. 22.9), bound under an oath, doomed to death or destruction (FS 120–3), in great trouble. E mālama hoʻi ʻoukou iā ʻoukou iho i nā mea i laʻa, o laʻa ʻoukou i kō ʻoukou lawe ʻana i nā mea laʻa, a hoʻolilo ʻoukou i ka ʻIseraʻela i mea laʻa, a hoʻopilikia hoʻi iā lākou (Ios. 6.18), protect yourselves from accursed things, lest ye make yourselves accursed, when ye take of the accursed thing, and make of the Israelites a cursed thing, and indeed cause them trouble. Ā laʻa, ā laʻa lā, so you did get in trouble, hurt, serves you right! I told you so! A laʻa kō kū i ke aʻu, so you did get jabbed by a swordfish [get into trouble]. A laʻa kō hāʻule lā, there you did fall.
4. Same as palai ʻula, a fern.
5. To propagate plants by inarching. (AP) Cf. kākiwi.
6. vs. Also, together with, so, besides, such as, like. E laʻa me kēia, besides this, like this, for instance, thus, such as this. ʻO ka launa nui aku i ka wahine ʻē, e laʻa me ka wahine i ke kāne ʻē, much association with a different woman, as well as the woman with a different man.