kuakahi/ kua.kahi /
1. vs., Once, singly; first; single, unwedded, unmarried.
- I hea ʻoe i ka wā kuakahi a kuʻu kino? Where were you while I was single?
- Cf. moa kuakahi.
2. vs., Three generations removed, as great-grandparent (kupuna kuakahi) and great-grandchild (moʻopuna kuakahi), as distinguished from a great-great-grandchild (moʻopuna kualua) and a great-great-grandparent (kupuna kualua). Sometimes today kuakahi denotes two generations removed.
3. Unobstructed, unhampered, free from interference; straight to the point, without deviation, as a story.
- E mihi mua i ka hewa, a wehewehe i nā hoʻohihia i kuakahi ka lāʻau, first repent of wrong doings, free [your mind] of problems, so the medicine will be free to work [common advice of old medical kāhuna].
4. (Cap.) n., Far mythical land, a rendezvous of spirits; homeland of the ancestors.
Papa helu loli ｜ Wehewehe Wikiwiki update log