1. The tropic or boatswain bird, particularly the white-tailed tropic bird (Phaethon lepturus dorotheae), which inhabits cliffs of the high islands. The red-tailed tropic bird (P. rubricauda rothschildi) is koaʻe ʻula; the white is koaʻe kea. Ka pali lele koaʻe, cliff [where] tropic birds fly. (PPN tawake.)
2. A variety of banana. (Neal 249.) Also aʻeaʻe and manini.
3. A taro; varieties are qualified by the colors ʻeleʻele, keʻokeʻo, ʻulaʻula.
4. A snapper, probably Etelis carbunculus, an important commercial fish also known as onaga (Japanese).
5. A variety of sweet potato.