1. nvt., To cut longitudinally, shave, plane, comb, press, rub or stroke, as in a massage, with gentle pressure of the open palm of the hand; to scrape; to run the fingers along the side of a poi bowl so as to remove the poi clinging to the side; comb; scraper, as for olonā fiber.
- PPN tafi , but cf. Fijian tasi, to escrape.
2. numeral, One, only one, alone, lone, some (sometimes following the numeral classifiers ʻa- and ʻe-, or hoʻo-); also, besides, too, single; fellow worker, wife, companion; someone, someone else, a certain (less common than kekahi); unit.
- ʻO au kahi e hele, I'm going too.
- Naʻu kahi, give me some.
- Pehea kahi o ʻolua? How is your companion (wife, spouse, colleague)?
- Ka ʻāina o kahi (Kep. 159), someone else's land.
- Hele ma kahi ʻē! Go away! Get out!
- Aia ka ʻai i kahi ʻē kahi i waiho ai (Kep. 57), the food is left elsewhere.
- Mai kahi ʻē ā noho mai, from far away but yet sitting here [said rudely of intruders or uninvited guests].
- ʻAuhea kahi e hele ai? Where's the place to go?
- ʻAuhea kahi o Kupa mā? Where's the residence of Kupa and his family?
- Ma kahi hoʻokahi, at the same place, at one place.
- A koe ʻo kahi wale nō e paʻa ana i ka lima (For. 5:711), only the handle [of the spear] was left.
- Ma kahi o ʻumi kapuaʻi, approximately ten feet.
- Ka mea iāia kahi i paʻa ai kona komo ʻana, the one whose duty it was to register his entrance.
- Ā ma kahi o ke komohewa, in case of trespassing.
Ua hoʻololi ʻia e ko Wehewehe Wikiwiki. ｜ This entry was modified by Wehewehe Wikiwiki.