1. definite article, same as ka, often translated “the.”
2. Contraction of ka mea e, the one who will, should, or is; the thing that (or which) is, will, should.
- ʻO wau ke hele aʻe i ka hale, let me go nearby to the house.
- ʻO ka makuahine wale nō ke noho ana, the mother was the only one staying.
- Gram. 10.2.
3. conjunction, If, when (in the future; Gram. 11.1).
- I kō mākou wā kamaliʻi, ke hoʻolele aku i nā lupe, huhū maila nā kūpuna, in our childhood, when we flew kites the grandparents scolded.
- Ke hele ʻoe, hele au, if you go, I'll go.
4. A particle connecting certain forms, as hiki and pono, with following verbs.
- Hiki iaʻu ke hele, I can go.
- Pono ke hele, right to go.
- Gram. 5.4.
Papa helu loli ｜ Wehewehe Wikiwiki update log