1. n., Hawaiian hawk (Buteo solitarius 🌐), an endemic and endangered hawk with dark and light color phases, confined to forests on the island of Hawaiʻi, where it is regarded by some as an ʻaumakua. The ʻio signified royalty because of its lofty flight, and hence occurs in such names as ʻIolani, royal hawk.
- Kaha ka ʻio i ka mālie, the ʻio hawk poises in the calm [admiration of a handsome person].
2. nvi., To twitter, chirp, peep; peeping.
3. vi., To flee.
- PEP kio; cf. Marquesan ʻiʻo.
4. nvi., A round, light-colored bitter gourd (Lagenaria siceraria 🌐), about 30 cm in diameter.
5. nvi., Tag; a Hawaiian game similar to tag; to play these games.
6. nvi., Bundle or food package; loaded with such bundles.
7. n., One who announces the presence of a chief; herald.
8. (Cap.) n., Probably the name of a stroke in lua fighting; also a low stroke in club fighting.