ʻīlio/ ʻī.lio /
1. n., Dog (brought to Hawaiʻi by early Polynesians, considered an ʻaumakua by some).
2. A generic term for foreign quadruped.
- See Gram. 2.9.2.
3. Cloud (poetic, or cloud with an omen).
- ʻĪlio ʻehu, cloud with a ruddy tint.
- ʻO ʻīlio uli, ʻo ʻīlio mea, ʻo Kū ke ao iki, ʻo Kū ke ao loa, ʻo Kū ke ao poko (PH 144), dark dog-cloud, reddish dog-cloud, Kū the small cloud, Kū the long cloud, Kū the short cloud.
- See kū #11, the god.
4. Tie beam in a house, brace that holds rafter to crossbeam.
5. A seaweed, same as some of the hulu ʻīlio #5.
Papa helu loli ｜ Wehewehe Wikiwiki update log