1. nvi., Club, association, society, corporation, company, institution, organization, band, league, firm, joint ownership, partnership, union, alliance, troupe, team; to form a society or organization; to meet, intermingle, associate, congregate.
- A hui hou aku, goodby; till [we] meet again.
- hoʻohui Caus/sim.; To form a society.
- Palapala hoʻohui, charter, as of an association.
- PPN fuhi .
2. nvi., To join, unite, combine, mix; combination.
- Hui ʻia, united, joined, joint.
- Nā mahele i hui ʻia, combined precincts.
- Hui ka ʻaha, to press together, of a crowd; to mingle, as two sides at the conclusion of an athletic competition (For. 5:407).
- Ka hui ʻia o ka loa a me ka laulā, pēlā e loaʻa mai ai ka ʻalea, the multiplication of the length and the width, thus is obtained the area.
3. n., A plus sign.
4. n., Cluster, as of grapes or coconuts; bunch, as of bananas.
5. n., Chorus of a song.
6. n., Flippers of a turtle.
- Ua loha nā hui o Hāʻupu, the flippers of Hāʻupu droop [an aged person, a reference to the story of Kana and Niheu, in which a turtle lifted up Hāʻupu hill on Molokaʻi].
7. Variant of huli, to turn, seek.
- Hui iho nei ka waʻa a Kamohoaliʻi (chant), Kamohoaliʻi's canoe turned.
8. n., Small uniting stick in a thatched roof, supporting rod for purlins.
9. vi., To disperse, as a meeting.
10. A prayer on the morning after ʻanāʻanā sorcery. (For. 6:17.) (Pronunciation uncertain: perhaps huʻi.)
Papa helu loli ｜ Wehewehe Wikiwiki update log